- The 2×4 partial fixed appliance is a therapeutic solution applied in the early orthodontic treatment to prevent improper tooth positions from affecting the facial growth and dentition which includes:
- Spacing and diastemas, minor rotations, reclined or proclined teeth, anterior crossbites may be corrected. It offers an opportunity to regain space for permanent teeth – in case of premature milk tooth loss the space for permanent tooth might be closed by neighbouring growing teeth. It also acts as a firm construction to guide an impacted tooth to the dental arch.
- It aims to correct the position of the front teeth (aesthetic role) or correct more complex malocclusion, which requires two-stage orthodontic intervention.
- Generally, this appliance allows you to effectively correct the alignment of teeth through the control of three dimensional tooth movement. Removable appliances do not provide such a possibility.
Which teeth are involved in 2×4 appliance ?
- Central Incisors , Lateral incisors , 1st Molars
Why is it okay to put braces at a young age ?
- The 3 teeth involved are completely erupted by the following age .
Therefore are ideal to be treated at the particular age .
|Central incisor||7-8 yrs|
|Lateral incisor||8-9 yrs|
|1st molar||6-7 yrs|
2×4 APPLIANCE DESIGN :
The basic 2×4 appliance design is as follows:
- Bands cemented on both upper/lower first permanent molars.
- Brackets bonded onto the erupted maxillary incisors.
- Continuous archwires to provide/maintain good arch-form, as well as control of anterior teeth.
- Supporting stainless steel tubing placed in the long archwire spans between the molars and incisors.
TIMING AND LENGTH OF TREATMENT :
- Treatment may start as soon as sufficient permanent teeth have erupted and it is felt that the child is co-operative enough to have separators placed, bands cemented and brackets bonded.
- Treatment carried out in this mixed dentition stage may take as little as a couple of weeks, but in the more difficult cases can take few months.
- In the majority of cases, however, the end result can be more effectively and efficiently achieved than if a removable appliance was used.
- Definitive treatment will probably still be necessary in the permanent dentition, but the complexity and duration of this may be significantly reduced.
ADVANTAGES OF FIXED APPLIANCES
- Minimal discomfort , Reduces need for patient co-operation
- Psychological benefits
- Habit correction
- Better hygiene maintenance
- Increase control of tooth movements
- Movement possible in all three planes of space
DISADVANTAGES OF REMOVABLE APPLIANCES
- Appliance rarely worn full time
- Appliance damage/lost appliances
- Difficulty in speech/eating
- Decalcification/caries, Gingivitis/palatal hyperplasia/fungal infections
- Incorrect activation produces unhelpful changes
For more details about 2/4 Appliance and Ortho Treatment in Bangalore visit our website http://www.chiseldental.co.in